Dealing with bullying
Bullying can make you feel alone and scared. If you are being bullied, it is normal to ask the question, 'why me?' But trust us when we say this is not your fault.
Bullying can happen to anyone. Just look at all the celebrities out there who experienced bullying as children and teenagers.
We know it is really tough to go through a bullying situation but we are here to give you the advice you need to get through it. You are not alone.
Why do people bully?
People bully others because they want to feel powerful, and prove something either to themselves or the people around them.
Often it is an attempt to gain power popularity (for example, by making other people laugh or getting other people to be on their side) or to stop getting hurt themselves (for example, 'If I bully others people will know they can't hurt me').
It can also be because:
- They don't know how to manage their own thoughts and feelings (e.g. they often hit and hurt others)
- They have been bullied or hurt by other people themselves
- They are experiencing violence at home
- They are scared of being hurt by other people
- They are jealous of other people
- They feel like they are not good enough
- They have negative beliefs about people who are different
- They are overcome by stress or pressure